An interactive workshop on ‘Table Etiquette’ was held for classes 5, 6 and 7, on 3rd and 5th February 2020 in the Demo Room. It was organized in collaboration with Sophia – Smt. Manorama Devi Somani College.It was conducted by Mr Hoshang Velati. Mr. Velati is currently the Chairman of Hospitality Management in Mumbai University and is a senior Faculty of HAFT at the polytechnic.
The workshop commenced with the speaker explaining to the students about the various courses in an international dining setup namely starter / appetizer, soup, fish, main course and finally the dessert.
He labelled the tableware namely the cutlery, crockery, glassware and linen. He also explained about the silver ware, used in the food industry. He stated that it is wrong to say ‘set the table’ instead internationally it is called a cover.
The speaker shared guidelines for dining etiquette, including the décor used during dining. Some of the tips include:
- Do not call the waiter by snapping your fingers
- Do not forget to Thank the waiter as well as the host
- Ladies first always
- Napkin should be on your lap
- Sit upright and close to the table
- Food is served and cleared from the right
- Never double dip
- Take small bites
- Never blow your food
- Hold the fork and knife in a fisted grasp
- Drinks are served on the right hand side and plates are cleared on the same side so give way to the server.
- Never over season your food
- If you need to excuse yourself during the meal place the napkin on the chair.
- The napkin is used only to dab
- Cutlery should be placed on the plate, never place it on the table. It should be placed in the six o’clock position after eating.
- Everyone starts eating together
- Bread has to be torn not cut
A practical session of food tasting followed, wherein students had a hands-on experience. The session ended with a vote of thanks.
Fr. Dr. Francis Swamy, s.j.